7/13/10

Supergirl in Young Love



'Solo' ran for 12 issues started in 2004 that was an anthology series centered around one specific creator. The first issue belonged to Tim Sale, probably best known for Batman: Long Halloween. Here he's joined by writer Diana Schutz for a tale of the Silver Age's Supergirl.

Kara Zor-El was known as Linda Lee, and spent her first years on earth at an orphanage in Smallville trying to avoid getting adopted. I'm a huge fan or her original stories from the 50's, so it meant a lot to me personally to see this tale. It's a out of continuity tale as far as I know (sort of like the imaginary tales' Earth 2 loved so much) about Linda reuniting with Dick Wilson, another former orphan. Here they meet up again after a few years and Dick's adoption (now he's Richard Malverne) and date, drift apart and meet up once again where Richard kisses her and says he's going to call sometime after he makes an appointment he's in town for. He never does, but soon Supergirl is called to his hospital bedside, where he admits he's known her identity for years. He's dying from cancer and they share a few moments together.


As a stand alone new readers may not care, but loving the Silver Age character's like I do I really enjoyed it. Stories like this are becoming my favourite as I'm less involved with comics; the continuity is still important, but the minutia isn't. I also thing 'Solo' had some of Sale's best work to date. The guy was always great with sexuality, and could draw gorgeous women, but I never thought he was capable of breaking my heart. If you've ever seen Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca you know what I mean. But in this comic I think he got it, and that first panel of the second row is one of my favourite things he's drawn, and ranks up there with some of Jim Mooney's work as the greatest Supergirl art ever printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment