7/5/10

R/B Self-Esteem

'Self-Esteem' was originally a Lor-TS-Xth standard deck I developed, focusing pulling out burn spells to outrace your opponent. It was never too successful, but was a lot of fun to play. It was centered around Maralen of the Mornsong, who's ability negated the ability to draw cards and instead at the beginning of each upkeep a player would lose three life and get to search their library for a card. This made it very dangerous to play, as often the opponent would simply pick what they needed to win or give them the edge, most of the time before you could. Still, in red and black, the flavour of this deck was spot-on. Yes, you may gain some advantages, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get what I want.

I eventually stopped playing standard, and soon after Mindlock Orb came to be and using that for a potential lock with Maralen was all the rage (in mostly bad decks that didn't win anything of note). Since I was no longer restricted, I added more efficient burn, replacing Shock with Lightning Bolt, and adding spells like Flame Rift. It's not the best thing I run, but it's certainly a pet deck.

As for the name, it comes from The Offspring. Self-Esteem is a song where a man keeps letting a woman walk all over him and hurt him, and I thought it was cute considering how Maralen does the same to me, and just like in the song I refuse to stay away from her. The full current version of the deck is listed below, so I hope you enjoy it and I'm always more then happy to explain card choices or hear new suggestions*!

*Even though I ignore most of them XD

No comments:

Post a Comment