7/22/10

My Mass Effect 2 Ending

'Twas a dark day in the universe, and nary but a few brave souls faced the Collectors and survived. The games was Mass Effect 2, and here's what happened;

The Collector's had kidnapped my crew. MY CREW. Fuck that. My Commander Shepard was an engineer, the class scientifically designed to be the most bad ass because he shot fireballs and used a pistol. He was fair, but not a true paragon because of my pension to lose my shit and decide "everybody dies". Well, kidnapping my crew is a sure as shit way to do that. My Shepard was amazing, and about half my battles ended up with me pistol whipping bigger enemies into submission. I don't play FPS, I refuse to live by thier rules of ducking, covering, and suppressive fire. I had my ship weapons upgraded, but not my shields. I had no love interest, because I was to busy saving the fucking human race (although I would have banged Tali if I knew I could in this game). But what was I supposed to do, go around scanning for minerals while everyone was murdered? No way, they attacked me, DISRESPECTED me, and they were going down.

I took heavy fire from the Collector ship after making the jump. Legion was killed. He had just joined me, but he was a robot so he was cool. Next was Jack. Without the shielding she didn't survive the heavy fire. I had  a friend over at the time, who had played it safe and was completely prepared, and he remarked that he now had no clue how my game was going to end since I had lost two key players. But I knew. It was going to end with me killing everyone that stood in my way.

Because of my gun upgrades, the enemy ship was destroyed. We landed and I got ready to deliver some personal payback. We had to split into two teams, and I wanted Garrus with me, since he was almost as badass as I was, and because I had a special affinity for the survivors from my first game. Garrus or Tali went with me on every mission. But now it was time for Tali to go into the vents and do some of her special magic, so I placed Miranda in charge of the second team. Thane's loyalty mission was lost when I tried to get ahead of his son, and Samara's was after I was too brutal with her daughter. Miranda was loyal to me, and made the best choice to lead. Or so I though.

Tali was shot in the head.

I was stunned. And pissed. It turns out that by siding against her in an argument, Miranda had STOPPED being loyal to me. Thats all it took to lose her trust, and I'm still angry at how petty that character was. When we reached the crew - its survivors - they had to try and get back to the ship on their own. They did not. I had lost three of my party (I didn't have the dl guy) and three more weren't loyal. More casualties awaited, and I cursed that two of my loyal members had died so early.

I needed someone to create a shield around me. With the loyal Jack gone and only Miranda and Samara left, I went with the Justicar in hopes her natural strength would protect my remaining crew. I chose Garrus for my team once more, and we pressed on. Samara's shield held up, but not long enough. Garrus was carried away, and my Shepard lost all reason to live, save revenge. Before playing ME 2 I had to replay the first game (saved my first half play-threw on a different machine) and Garrus had really grown on me. Losing him, and Tali, broke my little gaming heart. The other characters were great, but for my Shepard, those two would have been like family.

I left the others to hold the gate. I was going on to end this with the Collector's, and I chose my two comrades. Grunt was young but strong like Wrex, and had the same lust of destruction I was feeling. Prof. Solus was my favourite of the newest cast; I loved his mannerisms and his ability to be ruthless without being cruel. These were the men I was to meet my fate with. At this point Brian told me that even though he was happy he saved everyone that he was jealous. In my game, anything could happen, and it all felt like a true epic.

What a battle it turned out to be. Grunt went forth bashing his way threw enemy after enemy, and Solus took a defiant stance ATOP cover and started mowing down the drones. I hadn't seen a character do that all game, and for him to do it know at the climax was awesome. At the end Grunt went sliding down into the abyss, only to be saved at the very last second. I was completely sure I was going to lose him too. In the aftermath, Miranda was killed, but the Collector's base was saved. I heard the final game should be out next year, and me and my men will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment